Monday, October 8, 2012

The Hungry Little Caterpillar - Party Decor

After I settled on the hungry little catepillar theme for Avery's birthday, I came accross all sorts of fun ideas! I mastered photoshop just enough to create the invitation and some little signs to place next to each food item.

The cake was my favorite accomplishment!

 
I didn't get a picture of the food table with the signs. 
I stuck each sign into a cupcake and set it next to its respective food item.
This would have worked well if it wasn't for the mild breeze. 
The cupcake just wasn't sturdy enough to hold up the sign and kept blowing over.
The menu included party subs, chips, broccoli-cauliflower salad, fruit kebabs, and cupcakes.
Similar to the book, the sign said something like,
On Monday, she ate one sandwich;
On Tuesday, she ate broccoli salad, etc.
Notice the bag of potato chips that I photoshopped in.


I also made a catepillar with a pictures of her starting at newborn, one week, one month,
two months, up to 12 months.
 

Kate, Evan, Clara, and I made rice crispy catepillars.  I thought the kids would love making these, but they panicked once their hands got all sticky with the rice krispy marshmallow mixture.  They enjoyed wrapping them in fruit by the foot and also eating the fruit by the foot.  We set these on the picnic tables at the park as decoration and gave them away as the party favors.  I also took some to daycare on Avery's birthday for snack to celebrate her birthday.
 
I loved having the party at the park and hope to do it again in the future.  It took extra planning on the front-end to remember all the little details - things like packing rags, serving utensils, maches, tape, etc.  I played the party through in my head a few times and made a detailed list to ensure we had what we needed at the park.  The clean-up was much easier than having a party at home.  Our parents pitched in, and it was an extremely quick clean-up.  No need to clean the house ahead of time, and then re-clean after the party.
 
I think we're going to do something simple for Clara's fourth birthday, and then start an every other year friend birthday party rotation for each of the girls.  Although..I may get the party planning bug again before Clara's birthday arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment