Thursday, January 31, 2013

I think I'm living with a teenager...


Here's why some days I feel like we have a teenager living in our house...

-We try to wake her up in the morning, and it's followed by groaning and statements like "I don't want to get up!  I'm still sleepy!  Can you come back later?"  We also hear things like, "my bed is so warm, I can't get up.  Can I sleep for three more hours?"

-Some days her trying to choose an outfit is such an ordeal.  One particular day she wasn't pleased with anything in her drawers.  I diverted her to the closet to pick out a dress.  She thumbs through her dresses and then says, "I don't like any of these.  I don't see anything I want to wear."

-She told her Daddy that if he'd stop taking things away from her she'd stop back talking.

-I suggested she wear a particular skirt that I bought for her and she's never worn.  "I don't like it.  My friends will think that's boring."

-She told us last Sunday that she wants to get big and move into her own house so "I can have my own plans and make my own ideas." 

I thought four would bring miraculous change from three (yes, I know, wishful thinking).  We are constantly reinforcing the rules and what we're trying to teach her.  There are lots of consequences some days, and it wears us out emotionally and physically.  She really is a sweet child; sweet Clara does emerge when the teenage version is not present.  However, she has a very strong-willed personality and struggles with accepting authority.  We'll keep doing our best to be consistent in our discipline and teaching, even if it is exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment