I was explaining to her that Clara started doing this earlier in the day--she got inside the coffee table, grabbed a coaster, and then started pounding the coaster on the coffee table. I promptly removed everything that was on the bottom ledge of the table! Sue Ann told us that when babies find something they want to do (in this case tunneling in the coffee table) that we should provide an alternate outlet for that desired activity. So we have now made a box tunnel for Clara to crawl in. Unfortunately, it doesn't compare to the coffee table in Clara's eyes because she still goes for the coffee table. She gets inside the coffee table (sometimes I just give up and let her crawl in there!), but she can't figure out how to get out. So then she cries or screams for us to get her out. And when she wants out it has to be RIGHT THEN!
Each session she gives us "homework." Our assignment after this session was 1) to build a box tunnel and 2) to encourage Clara to pull up. Well, we accomplished both of these things last Saturday! Clara was after a couple of things on the fireplace ledge, and pulled right up to get them! It was something to see! It's so crazy to see your baby go from being on all fours to standing on her own all by herself. She has no idea how to get down from a standing position, and we quickly learned that her solution to this is just to let go and fall backwards (well, we won't let that happen again). Note to new parents, when your baby pulls up for the first time, stay close by rather than going to get the camera!
Another concern we discussed is Clara's recent outbursts she's been having when she doesn't get something immediately or doesn't get her way. Sometimes we joke that she's bipolar because she's happy one moment and then super mad the next. Sue Ann told us to remember that babies this age believe they center of the universe, and they have very big egos. She told us to remember this when we get frustrated with Clara's outbursts. I found this very helpful, and it actually makes me laugh to think of my baby having a big ego! It makes sense too. If I am the center of the universe, it's only logical for me to get exactly what I want the moment I want it. I should be allowed to play with anything including the dog food, lamp cords, and floor vents because all that matters is me! So our goal is to redirect Clara's attention when she's doing something we don't want her to do or when she's upset. We've also starting saying a firm "No" as times to teach her what is off-limits. We also think part of her frustration comes from not being able to move as quickly as she wants. During the past week, Clara has really started crawling a lot faster, and that seems to make her happier.
We've started accumulating toys for Clara to distract her from all the things she shouldn't be getting into. Somehow none of the toys are as fun as all of the things in our house that can hurt her. She's crawling much faster now and moving from room to room quite quickly, and she's into everything! I pulled the cushions off the couch today and used them to block her in the living room. She figured out how to crawl onto the couch cushions, but then couldn't get down off of them. Her solution - scream until somebody moves me back to the ground! Why? Because I'm the center of the universe, and I want down right now!!
Matt celebrated his thirtieth birthday last week. He got to listen to me count down to it the week beforehand by saying "Can you believe you're only going to be in your twenties for 2 more days?! Man, you're old!" I dropped the ball and didn't take any pictures of his party except for the cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment