My dearest Ruby Doo (more often affectionately called
Chubs),
I reread your four month letter last night and realized that
your fifth month has been a bit of a regression in certain areas from your fourth. Thankfully, you are still growing and
developing normally, but this month you haven’t “talked” to us much and we’ve
been on a downhill slide as far as the sleeping in concerned. In hindsight, I’ve now attributed both of
these to another ear infection that I think went un-detected for a couple of
weeks before it really started to bother you.
This prompted a third round of anti-botics, which did their job and your
ears now look great. We can also tell
that you are feeling much better too.
Last Friday, it was like someone flipped a switch inside you and you are
now making so much noise! You have
really found your voice and can be pretty loud.
I think the days of you sitting in church with us may be coming to an
end.
This month we started you on rice cereal followed by oatmeal
cereal, and barley cereal. Daddy got a little
crazy yesterday and mixed all three into one bowl! You are a champion eater, and you crack us
up! The first time we fed you, you were
a little unsure, but by the second time, you clearly expressed your displeasure
at our slow pace of feeding you. Apparently
waiting for us to put the spoon back into the bowl to scoop out another bite is
just too long. You fuss at us if we
don’t keep a steady stream of cereal coming.
We had told both of your grandparents about this, and they both were a
little surprised to see it in action!
Your good eating habits (including at least 2 night feedings) mean that
you are still packing on the LBs. At 5
months, you now weigh 16 ½ pounds. I
asked the doctor if you were too big, and she just chuckled and shook her head
no. I’m sure the rolls will thin out
once you start moving, but for now, I think you’re just adorable.
Sleep…what’s that? I
realized I have been telling people you don’t sleep very well. This is actually completely untrue. You are an awesome sleeper, similar to your
sister. You take an hour-long morning
nap, a 2-3 hour afternoon nap (most days), and sleep about 12 hours at night
from about 6:30pm – 6:30am. The only
problem I have with this routine is that you wake up 2-3 times a night (about
10pm, 1am, and 4am) requesting food. And
somehow you are able to stay asleep during this time. You will get a diaper change and drink a
whole 5 ounce bottle without opening your eyes.
If only your Daddy and I were able to do this without waking or opening
our eyes. After I finish feeding you, I
put you back into your bed and you are already asleep. Within the last week, we are trying to break
your night eating cycle, but it’s not an easy process. The pacifier is effective at quieting your
request, but it only lasts about an hour before the next request comes
along. I’m hoping that now that you are
feeling better (we are currently on anti-biotic #4 for another infection – this
time not an ear infection), the night eating will cease.
When you’re not hungry, you are content and happy. You love your excersaucer, swim gym, bouncy
seat, and bumbo. You are very strong and
can really kick your legs with some force.
You still love watching your sister, and she adores you. Each morning when I take you with me into her
room, she asks if you can lay in her bed by her. I feel like a bond between the two of you is
already starting to form. You give us
lots of smiles (especially your Daddy) and laughs. You can now grasp certain toys, and I catch you watching your hands move from time to time.
You can now roll from your tummy to your back and your back
to your tummy, but you haven’t put the two together yet. You lean forward a lot as if you are trying
to sit-up. I think the next couple of
months will really have some new things in store for us. For now, I’m just enjoying you being my baby,
and you are so, so sweet. We still nap together on the weekends, and
snuggling with you is one of my (and hopefully your) favorite things.
Love,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment