Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My 2013 goals - a follow-up

Here's my evaluation of how I did on my 2013 goals....

1.  Make more food from scratch, buy locally grown food when possible, and do more freezer cooking.  I made some good progress on this, but I'm learning this is a long-term goal.  Navigating the food arena is a challenging and daunting task.  I make a lot of our meals from scratch - as in using a recipe.  However, I've learning that even though I compile a recipe using cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, etc., there is still a lot of ingredients in those items that I need to pay attention to.  Notable changes in 2013: 1) we've switched to non-fat PLAIN Greek yogurt sweetened with local honey.  No more fruit yogurt cups purchased at our house.  2) Only fresh or frozen veggies and fruits - very rarely do we eat any canned versions.  3) Shatto Milk and 4) organic cage-free eggs from La Ferme du Bonheur (purchased at Price Chopper).  I am starting to pay close attention to the ingredients on food labels and have only recently started exploring the whole foods section of the grocery store.  I was on a hunt for jelly without high fructose corn syrup and even bought real maple syrup recently.  Matt says we're turning into hippies.  I still have so much more to learn about nutrition!  On the freezer cooking front, my freezer meal buddy is pregnant with TWINS and is generally grossed out by raw food these days.  So my freezer cooking has slowed because it's hard to get motivated to do batch cooking by myself.

2.  Read through the Bible in a year.  As one who does not read a lot, this was a very lofty goal.  I am pleased to report that I am over half-way through the Bible.  This goal will continue into 2014.

3.  Stay active.  I had mediocre progress on this front in 2013.  I was sick all of January and September (not exaggerating).  However, I bought a fitbit a couple of months ago, and it has really heighted my awareness of my activity levels (or lack thereof).  It has changed my behavior in good ways (I insist on taking the stairs at work and walk to the bathroom the furthest from my office).  I've also started walking on the treadmill while watching Parenthood on Amazon Prime about 3 days a week.  I walk at a 3 incline and have recently started bumping it up to a 5 incline.  I'm starting to see a difference in how my pants fit, which is very motivating!

More on my 2014 goals to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment