Thursday, June 21, 2012
Not-so-fun Run
After the 5K wrapped up, there was a Tot Rot/Kid's Run. Without much explanation, we put Clara on the starting line in the street with all the other kids. Matt pointed out the finish-line, and then the kids were told to run to the finish. Clara ran a few steps and burst out crying. I was standing closer to the finish, but Matt went over to pick her up, and said she was REALLY upset. I went over and offerred to run with (by this point the kid's race was over), and she and I ran down the street towards the finish line. It was the sweetest thing because Evan saw us, and decided to run with us, even though he had already finsihed the kid's race. I let him and Clara run ahead and they finished the race. She was excited to get ribbon at the end.
We asked her afterwards why she got so upset. She told us, "I was scared the cars were going to get me because I was in the road. They will smash me like a pancake." That was our "aha" moment. We have drilled into her head NEVER to go into the road by herself because the cars can't see her (and yes, I'm sure the "smash me flat like a pancake" came from us as well). So when we put her into the road without an explanation and then told her to "RUN!", I'm sure she was scared!! We then explained that for the race, the police had the road blocked off so that cars can't drive on it. Another learning lesson for this Dad and Mom, we'll know for next time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment