Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of Preschool

Today was Clara's first day of preschool.  I am so excited for her to start preschool.  I know without a doubt that she is ready, am I'm so excited to see how she progresses, grows, and learns in a more structured environment. 

We started looking into preschools late last year, and visited and decided on this preschool last December.  I'm so thrilled with the one we've chosen.  It's an in-home preschool, and the teacher has a master's degree in child development.  She has a walk-out basement that has been finished into a preschool room.  She's extremely organized, has lots of great activities, and seems to love what she does.  I also like that it's an in-home environment in a warm, personal setting.  In addition to the structured learning time, there is a lot of flexibility for the kids and lots of play-time as well.

Matt and I dropped her off together this morning, and she seemed a bit timid and unsure.  She was brave though and sat down at the table and announced, "I'm ready to do a craft!"  Then she informed the teacher that she wanted to do a butterfly craft.  The teacher told us she had a good day, engaged easily with the other children, but struggled a bit with the structure.  She's used to having a full day of free time so I think that's to be expected.  She was really tired when Matt picked her up this afternoon (zombie-like were his exact words).

First day of school pictures. She wanted nothing to do with these at first. 
There may have been some bribery involved.


On her way in to the preschool.
I was so excited all day to get home and hear how preschool went.  I rushed home from work and immediately started asking her questions. 
N:  What did you do at preschool today?
C:  I don't know.
N:  What did you have for lunch?
C:  I don't know.
We pretty much got nothing out of her.  I was waiting patiently during our snuggle time before bed for her to fill me in on all the excitement of her day.  This girl will talk in full paragraphs without pausing for a breath when she really wants to tell you something.  I finally asked during bedtime if there was anything she wanted to tell me about preschool.  She paused and said, "Hmmm....let me think....No!  I'll tell you tomorrow.  Absolutely!"  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

As I was telling her goodnight I said, "I'm so glad you had a good day at preschool!"  She responded, "I'm so glad you had a good day at work!"

No comments:

Post a Comment