Similar to when we brought Avery home, I under-estimated Clara's reaction to change. I was planning for separation anxiety including some crying at drop-off. Nope, none of that. Instead, she's acting out towards us again. Her legs will randomly stop working or she forgets how to put her shoes on or she's just downright naughty. I've seen some behavior in her at times that just makes me cringe. I'll be relieved once we've settled into our new normal.
During the first week, I cried one morning when I dropped Avery off at Trish's. I knew Clara was struggling with the adjustment to preschool when she was previously content and comfortable at Trish's, and I was sad to leave Avery at daycare by herself. I was sad as well because it seemed like our first big step in what will be many of Clara's life, and it seemed to have changed our dynamic with Trish. We're also still getting used to the preschool teacher's personality and philosophies.
I still think choosing this preschool and starting this year was the right decision. I have to remind myself - just because change is hard doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do. I follow-up the pep talk by reminding myself that the change is hard because Clara has been with such a wonderful daycare lady since she was 4 months old. I'm only sad for her to move on because that was such a positive experience and a huge blessing.
However, she's still adjusting based on the report from the teacher. She's having trouble with the "group mentality." The preschool teacher explained it as a child being used to being a prince or princess, and they are shocked to find out they are a commoner. "What? You mean I'm a second class citizen, and I can't do whatever I want to whenever I want?" Overall a good lessons to learn in life - respect authority, the rules do apply to you, and you do have to follow them.
Apparently, Clara is having the same struggle ever other child does. I've been told it's completely normal and nothing to worry about. On one hand I'm not surprised knowing my child's personality (stubborn and willful), but on the other hand, I was secretly hoping she'd be a pefect angel, and I'd get exceptional reports about how she's perfectly behaved and exceptionally bright. I guess maybe I just need to wait a little longer - haha!
Funny that this post follows my previous post about the princess and her chariot.
No comments:
Post a Comment