I'm officially a soccer Mom, at least for another month. If I had a nickel for everytime Matt rubbed my pregnant belly and said, "It's gonna be a soccer player." We signed Clara up for 6 weeks of soccer through JoCo Parks & Rec. I figured it would be entertaining to watch 3 & 4 year old girls play soccer, and it did not disappoint! The time commitment is reasonable, 50 minutes per week, which includes 25 minutes of practice and 25 minutes for the game. It's on the weekend, which is much eaiser for us than a week night activity.
Clara was so scared during the first week. She stood in the middle of the field and cried during practice. I went out to stand with her so she'd at least stay on the field with the other girls. She spent most of the game on the sidelines with us, and a couple of times she agreed to be subbed in to play. She'd start running her heart out, make it half way onto the field, and then turn right around and run back to us crying. Poor thing. I felt awful for her. We tried to be really encouraging about how much fun she was having and how good she was doing. Once she realized there were treats at the end of the game (which I may have mentioned were for the girls who played in the game), she agreed to play at the very end of the game for a few minutes. I think she may have even kicked the ball! I was very proud of her for being brave, and she was happy as a clam when the snacks were handed out.
| Her shirt looks like a dress because she's so little! |
Highlights from the game (I'm telling you - it's a riot!):
-First goal was scored by our team on the wrong goal. I knew it was bound to happen!
-The girls picked their team name - the Unicorns.
-During the half-time pep talk from their coach, one girl points out, "I see the moon!"
-The same little girl was showing her Daddy how she could be a butterfly during the game. He told her to be a butterfly who chases the ball.
-The coach attempts to explain to the girls where to stand during the game. Ok, you're on defense now, you need to spread out. When the girls don't move, he just picks them up and moves them where he wants them to start.
| I forget how petite she is until she's next to other kids. |
No comments:
Post a Comment