Sunday, September 23, 2012

Almost One


My sweet little baby is nearing her first birthday.  I had such mixed emotions when Clara turned one.  I was sad that my baby was growing up so fast.  This time around is completely different.  I feel like part of me should be sad, but I'm not at all.  In fact, I'm excited.  I've been trying to figure out what the difference is, and I still can't put my finger on it.

Maybe it's because having two children is much more work that having one.
Maybe it's because I have more prespective, and I know there are many more fun times ahead.
Maybe it's because I'm ready for her to walk.
Maybe it's because I just bought our last can of formula (woo hoo!).
Maybe it's because I feel relieved that we survived the past year with a baby and a three year-old.  We made it!
Maybe it's because I'm ready for the sisters to play together (quietly while I make dinner and sip a glass of wine - ha!)
Maybe it's because we got woken up more nights in the past year than ones where we slept through the night.
Maybe it's because I love packing away some of the baby gear that has overtaken our house.
Maybe it's because she's a foodie, and I know she's going to love her smash cake!
Maybe it's because I'm ready to be able to have complete conversations with my husband prior to 8:30pm at night.
Maybe it's because I'm looking forward to getting to know her better and learning her personality.

I think it's probably a little of all of those and a few others that haven't occurred to me. 

In celebration of little Miss Avery, I'm going to have a few posts looking back at our first days with her and the joy she has brought to our family.  I was so worried before she was born that I wouldn't love her as much as Clara.  I even wondered if my friends really love their second child as much as their first.  It didn't seem possible to me.  After having my first baby, I was amazed at how much I loved her.  Did I really have enough love in me to feel that way about another child?  It turns out that I did!  I bonded with Avery instantly, and I have such a connection with her. She's timid at times and kind of a Momma's girl, and I love that about her.  She has such a warm smile and a happy disposition.  She loves to play and is easily soothed.  I love that first smile of the morning and flailing arm excitement when she sees me.   If I had to sum this little girl up in one word, it would be joy.  I can't imagine our family without her.  She brings us so much joy and makes us feel complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment