Saturday, September 15, 2012

Simplfying my Life: Reasons to Keep Things

As I have been decluttering, I’ve noticed some recurring themes in my reasons to keep things.  I’ve had to challenge myself to evaluate the things that I choose to take up space in my home.  Here are some of the common excuses that pop into my head as I’m decluttering.  And yes, sometimes I have full conversations with myself in my head.

I should keep it because I might need it someday.  I then ask myself the last time I used it.  If I can’t remember when I used it last, that’s probably a good indication that I won’t need it, or won’t remember that I own this item (or where it is) IF I do need it sometime in the future.  You’ll never get rid of anything if you keep things because you MIGHT need them.  I remind myself that if I really do need an item in the future, I will buy another one when the time comes.  That may sound flippant and wasteful, but the reality is, those instances are probably pretty rare.  This reasoning frees me of keeping unnecessary things.  If you really are concerned about needing an item in the future, go ahead and box it up, and put it in storage.  In six months if you haven’t missed the item, donate the box without thinking twice (and don’t reopen the box to rehash old memories!).

Because if the one I’m currently using breaks or wears out, I’ll have a spare.  This reminds me of the pot and pan set I bought seven years ago for a great price.  I only used it briefly because when we got married, we received a really nice caphalon set as a wedding gift.  The unused set took up an entire plastic tub and had been moved from our old house.  Matt has asked multiple times in the past why we’re keeping these pots and pans.  My reasoning – because when our current pots and pans wear out, we’ll use this set.  Seven year later, I finally decided to get rid of them so someone can get some use out of them.  (They were the first item sold in our garage sale!)  Who knows when our current pots & pans are going to need replacing (6 years in they are still in really good shape) and what are the chances that when we do replace them, we’re going to want to use this particular set I’m saving.

Because [insert name] gave it to me.  This excuse is another challenge for me because I tend to be sentimental, and I have an extensive memory for who gave me gifts.  This excuse can be especially tough when it relates to a loved one who is no longer living.  For example, I’ll come across an item I no longer use sitting in a drawer or in a storage tub taking up space, but when I see it, it reminds me of my Grandma because she gave it to me.  I do have several gifts that my Grandma gave me that I either still use or that I currently display in my home.  I don’t need to keep everything that she ever gave me to remember her.  The physical item may trigger the memory of my Grandma, but that memory is mine to keep, and I’m not giving away precious memories just because I get rid of an item I don’t use.  I’ve heard some people take pictures of items prior to getting rid of them and that helps them let go.  I haven’t found the need to do this though. 

Because it was [insert family member’s name].  Another tough one, especially if you’re a sentimental person.  Is it really a family heirloom or is it stuff passed from one generation to another because the older generation couldn’t part with their stuff?  I’m again referring to items being stored for the sole reason that it was at one time owned by another family member.  If it’s something I use or am displaying because I think it’s beautiful and I treasure the item, then I feel good about keeping it.  If it’s housed in the back of a cabinet, in storage, and never used, it should probably be reconsidered.  I don’t ever want my girls to feel guilty about getting rid of my things (after I’m gone, of course).  They are just things after all. 


But it so cute!  Oh the ceramic chicken egg plate.  It has a chicken in the middle, is very colorful, and holds deviled eggs.  It’s so cute!  Problem is, I’ve stored it for at least 5 years, and the only time it’s been out of the box is for me to look at it and remember how cute it is!  I never seem to remember to use it on the rare occasion I make deviled eggs.  (As a side note, I also had two plastic deviled egg holders in addition to this pretty one).  So I made myself part the chicken egg plate and one of the plastic containers as well. 

 
But there’s nothing wrong with it.  This may be the case, but in my opinion, if it’s taking up unnecessary residence in my home and I’m not using it, there is something wrong with it!  My brother and sis-in-law got rid of some perfectly good plastic cereal containers in the garage sale.  They weren’t using them.  I say good for them for decluttering!  And I also say good for me because I bought them.  I was actually planning to purchase some similar containers to house our bags of Malt-o-Meal cereal.  A win-win!

Because it’s such-and-such brand name or because I paid $X for it.  I struggle with sunk costs.  I have to remind myself - the money is gone; it’s not coming back.  Don’t let past decisions drive future ones.  I bought these really cool wine bottle and wine glass racks from Pottery Barn to hang at our old house.  We never got them hung up prior to moving, and we don’t have a need for them in our current house.  But when I see them, I think, oh, they’re so cute, and they came from Pottery Barn, and I spent money on them, and they are brand new.  Oh, and if we ever move again, I MIGHT NEED THEM SOMEDAY!  See how the excuses compound?!  Turns out I gave them to a friend, who right away when she saw them said, "I’ve been looking for something like that for our dining room, and those are perfect!"  It made me happy to give them to her and to know that she will get some use out of them.  It’s slightly less rewarding of a feeling to give things to a donation center – only because I don’t get to see a person’s reaction first hand.  But my unused items will benefit a good cause and hopefully be a blessing to someone else.  And there’s the tax deduction part.  That makes my tax accountant husband happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment