Clara is doing swimming lessons again this summer. She and I did the parent/child lessons two years ago, and this year she's in the preschool swimming lessons. She's in the water (the big pool) by herself with the teacher. The first week was really hard for both her and I. She was so scared to be in the big pool by herself, and Matt and I were nervous with her being in the water by herself. Weeks two and three have been a big success, and she is gaining a lot more confidence. We still watch her like a hawk (while sitting on the sidelines rather than hovering like the first week), but I'm much more relaxed with it than I was initially. My first lesson in letting go, I guess. Children and water is one of my worst fears as a parent. I fear a lot of things I never used to before having kids. It's amazing how much I love these little people, and I want to protect them from anything and everything bad in life!
Anyway, enough about that, the lesson starts with kids picking up rings (Clara refuses to put her head under water), then the kids "monkey" along the bar in the pool to the 3 foot area where Clara can't touch. I'm pretty sure she's got a death grip on that bar (fine by me)! The teacher then takes them out one at a time and has them swim (one their back, then with the noodle, then using a boogie board) as she holds on to them. Then they take turns jumping into the water and swimming to the ladder to get out - with assistance.
This has been great confidence builder for Clara. It's so much fun watching her do something on her own that makes her so proud. Occassionally she'll look over at us to make sure we're watching, and she'll just beam.
We have four more lessons then we'll be done for the year. Next up - preschool gymnastics! I signed her up for a short summer class that starts in June. I'm pretty excited about that too! I had no idea how much I'd enjoy watching her learn new things and become independent. Now I just have to temper my excitement so that I don't become one of those crazy parents who child is involved in a bajillion different things. Fun, fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment